Boston Real Estate Dispute Attorneys
Sweder & Ross LLP
Our law firm serves commercial and individual clients in Boston and other major cities with a full range of real estate litigation services. We have successfully represented developers, owners, property managers, tenants, financial institutions and investors with negotiations or litigation in a wide variety of real estate disputes.
Our attorneys have been involved in disputes involving acquisitions, brokerage commissions, construction contracts, mechanic's liens, foreclosure, leases, landlord-tenant disagreements, property management, easements, titles, boundaries and any number of other real estate-related matters.
Some Cases in Point*
- Sweder & Ross successfully defended a small business owner against a major financial institution that sought to foreclose on the property leased by our client. After prevailing at trial on the merits, our litigators negotiated a buy-out of the client’s lease, plus payment by the buyer of all legal fees incurred by our client, through the litigation and buy-out: a settlement in excess of $2 million.
- Our real estate litigators prevailed in a case designated by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court as a “case of first impression”: Perroncello v. Donahue, 448 Mass. 199 (2007). When our client signed a purchase and sale agreement to buy property in Boston for $2.25 million, a dispute arose as to whether our client had breached the agreement and could be compelled to specifically perform the agreement and, in addition, pay liquidated damages to the seller.
- When the limited partners of a real estate venture felt they were being “squeezed out” by the general partner at an unrealistically low price, Sweder & Ross negotiated full participation by our clients in a new partnership for the property. Every other limited partner not represented by our firm was excluded from the transaction.
- When two partners had a falling out over the operation of a substantial assisted living center in Massachusetts, our attorneys represented one of the partners and prevailed on preliminary injunction, effectively taking full control of the project. As a result, we were able to negotiate a favorable buy-out price in the interests of our client.
- Our real estate attorneys represented two homeowners against a major Massachusetts contracting company that had performed extensive renovations on their home. We exposed the levels of incompetence and negligence of the contractor by discovering that the person in charge of the clients’ project had failed the examination for a builder’s license. The case settled in mediation with a payment to the homeowners, equaling 100% of their out-of-pocket costs to remedy the problems caused by the contractor.
*The results obtained in these cases were dependent on the specific facts of each case. These results are presented for informational purposes only and should not be considered a guarantee that we can obtain similar results for you.